The Tar Heels host Notre Dame in ACC showdown.
North Carolina (6-2) hosts Notre Dame (8-0) this weekend as they look to gain ground in the ACC championship race. The Fighting Irish sit atop the ACC standings after taking down conference favorite Clemson a few weeks ago.
North Carolina can shake up the standings with a win. Do they have the offensive firepower to pull the upset?
Notre Dame at North Carolina Odds
Notre Dame at North Carolina Schedule
- Where: Kenan Memorial Stadium in Chapel Hill, NC
- When: Friday, November 27, 3:30pm (EST)
Notre Dame at North Carolina Preview
Notre Dame is undefeated and has its eyes set on the college football playoff. They’ve won with strong offense (37.6 pt/gm) and an even better defense (16.6 pt/gm).
Irish Look to Keep Train Rolling
Quarterback Ian Book has been fantastic leading the offense, and has been extremely safe with the football (11 TD, 1 INT). He’s part of a two-headed backfield that also features the ACC’s fourth-leading rusher in Kyren Williams.
While the offense has been good, the defense has been downright dominant. The Fighting Irish have the league’s best scoring defense and run defense. They have been a bit vulnerable in the secondary (243 yd/gm) which could spell trouble when facing North Carolina quarterback Sam Howell.
Tar Heels Hoping to Ruin Notre Dame’s Playoff Chances
Howell and the Tar Heels have the top ranked total offense in the ACC (563 yd/gm). Howell leads the conference in passing yards and scores, while Dyami Brown leads the league in receiving yards.
The problems for North Carolina haven’t come on offense, but rather on the defensive side of the ball, where they allow over 30 points a game to opponents. Foes have scored 31 points or more in five of the last six games against the Tar Heels, including a 53-point output from Wake Forest last week.
Another performance like that, and the Tar Heels can likely put an upset bid aside.
Notre Dame at North Carolina Picks
Against the Spread
Notre Dame -5
North Carolina has been unpredictable for most of the season, having taken down the likes of Virginia Tech and North Carolina State, but having also lost to Florida State and Virginia. Notre Dame will be the best team they face all year.
Notre Dame leads the all-time series by a total of 18-2, but these two teams have not met since 2017, a 33-10 Irish win. We expect Notre Dame to continue that trend in 2020.
Notre Dame has won this season with defense and clock control. They lead the league in time of possession, and the run game has been the strength of the offense. Look for the Fighting Irish to keep the ball out of the hands of Sam Howell, and keep the North Carolina offense on the sidelines.
Notre Dame 37, North Carolina 28
Other NCAAF Week 13 Picks:
Friday, Nov 27th
- Iowa St at Texas - 12:00pm (EST)
- Nebraska at Iowa - 1:00pm (EST)
- Notre Dame at North Carolina - 3:30pm (EST)
- UCF at South Florida - 3:30pm (EST)
- Stanford at California - 4:30pm (EST)
- Oregon at Oregon St. - 7:30pm (EST)
Saturday, Nov 28th
- Maryland at Indiana - 12:00pm (EST)
- Kentucky at Florida - 12:00pm (EST)
- Texas Tech at Oklahoma St. - 12:00pm (EST)
- Penn St. at Michigan - 12:00pm (EST)
- Louisiana at UL-Monroe - 3:00pm (EST)
- Coastal Carolina at Texas St. - 3:00pm (EST)
- Auburn at Alabama - 3:30pm (EST)
- Northwestern at Michigan St. - 3:30pm (EST)
- Pittsburgh at Clemson - 3:30pm (EST)
- San Jose St. at Boise St. - 4:00pm (EST)
- LSU at Texas A&M - 7:00pm (EST)
- Utah at Washington - 7:30pm (EST)
- Georgia at South Carolina - 7:30pm (EST)
- Arizona at UCLA - 8:00pm (EST)