The 2020 Fed Cup team of the United States is made up of tennis superstars including the reigning champion of the Australian Open Sofia Kenin. This weekend, they are facing Latvia in the qualifying round of the Fed Cup.
- Date: February 7-8, 2020
- Place: Everett, WA
- Venue: Angel of the Winds Arena
- Surface: Hard (Indoor)
- Competition: 2020 Fed Cup (Qualifying Round)
US 2020 Fed Cup Team
Team USA is the most successful Fed Cup team in history with 18 titles, the last of which they won in 2017. The American ladies are starting their 2020 Fed Cup journey at home against Latvia.
The clash is scheduled to happen this weekend, for which, the team captain Kathy Rinaldi has picked the following players:
- Sofia Kenin – A week after winning the 2020 Australian Open, the current no. 7 in the WTA Rankings is traveling to the north-west of the United States to help her Fed Cup team go past Latvia.
- Serena Williams – The former world no. 1, Serena Williams is hoping she could get back in a winning form after surprising exit from the Australian Open in the 1/16-final.
- Coco Gauff – The teenage sensation has been phenomenal lately, beating such tennis legends as Venus Williams and Naomi Osaka in Melbourne. The 15-year-old is very close to getting a call up for the Tokyo Olympics, especially if she does well in the Fed Cup.
- Alison Riske – This is the fourth time Riske has made the US Fed Cup team. The 29-year old, who’s currently no. 18 in the WTA Rankings did relatively okay in Australia last month, both at the Australian Open and at the WTA Brisbane International.
- Bethanie Mattek-Sands – The 34-year-old has been in the US Fed Cup team on five occasions. Two times she played in the final, one of which Team USA won (2017).
2020 Fed Cup Explained
The 2020 Fed Cup comes with a new format, according to which 12 national teams will play in the final tournament. The Finals will take place in Budapest, Hungary on 14–19 April 2020.
Team Hungary has qualified for the Finals as the tournament host. France and Australia qualified by playing in the last year’s Finals, while the Czech Republic was chosen as the wild card.
There are eight more places left, which will be decided in the qualifying round. Apart from the Latvia vs USA, there are seven more matchups in the qualification, namely:
- Belarus vs Netherlands
- Russia vs Romania
- Germany vs Brazil
- Japan vs Spain
- Canada vs Switzerland
- Kazakhstan vs Belgium
- Great Britain vs Slovakia
USA vs Latvia Prediction
Team USA is a big favorite in the clash with Latvia for a number of reasons. First of all, the player quality seems to be on the side of the United States, although Team Latvia does include some very talented players like the former French Open champion Jeļena Ostapenko.
American ladies have another advantage in this duel, which is the fact that they’re playing in front of their crowd at Everett’s Angel of the Winds Arena.