Making a deposit at an online sportsbook should be easy and convenient. However, there are times when using a credit card can be difficult, specifically bank credit cards and debit cards. Many of these cards have restrictions for usage outside of the United States and therefore, it can be difficult to make a deposit. To make things simpler, Amex betting sites have made deposits simple, and today you can pick from a number of great sportsbooks.
Best Amex Sportsbooks of 2020
Here’s a list of our top Amex sportsbooks for 2020:
- Amex & US Players Accepted
- Promo Code: BOL1000 (Minimum Deposit: $55)
- Amex & US Players Accepted
- Promo Code: SB1000 (Minimum Deposit: $25)
- Amex & US Players Accepted
- 5X Rollover Requirement
While American Express may face a few restrictions here and there, Amex users can rest assured that their deposit will clear. In fact, quite a few do. To put plainly, quite a few sportsbooks allow Amex deposits at online sportsbooks. This is why American Express is quickly becoming one of the most convenient and efficient means of making a deposit for those living both in and outside of the United States.
Meanwhile, it is very hard to find an offshore online sportsbook that will allow clientele from the United States to make a deposit. Just because it’s hard doesn’t mean it’s impossible! In the next section, we will explain how you go about making a deposit with your American Express card while living in the U.S. and everything you need to know about this payment method.
The Legal Situation Around Amex Sportsbooks
The legality of Amex betting sites is a bit of a challenge for most sports fans, but to understand it better, we need to look at the situation in America. In 2013, an American Express representative was quoted in Bloomberg News noting that America Express “… did not accept transactions for the purposes of online gambling.“
A lot has happened in the U.S. regarding the availability of payment methods. When UIEGA was passed in 2006, sportsbooks gradually became more restricted in terms of available payment options. Many offshore betting sites continued to list AmEx, although the payment transactions would often fail.
This prompted sports fans to either avoid the payment method altogether or place bets less often. Similarly, sportsbooks became more adapt at re-routing payments and facilitating AmEx transactions. As of May 2018, however, American Express is back as the industry has now been legalized in 13 U.S. states.
How We Pick Amex Betting Sites?
There are lots of criteria we use in choosing the right Amex bookie for you. All moving parts are important, of course, and we scrupulously go each and every one. Here’re some of the criteria that determine whether a website is worth your while:
- Highly Trusted – We study the reputation of each website out there and only recommend the ones that meet our strict criteria. Our research is based on sports fans’ opinions as well as our own observations. While a license is not a necessity, it’s good to have one.
- Modern Design & Graphics – Our team expects every sportsbook out there to have the necessary level of accomplished design. This helps users use a handheld device to make their Amex deposits and withdraw remotely without any issues.
- Great on Mobile – Mobile compatibility is important as it allows bettors to place their digital wagers remotely and even participate in live betting with ease.
- Editor’s Choice – We will always award sportsbooks that deserve recognition. Our reviewing guidelines allow us to find the specific sportsbooks that are worth your complete and undivided attention.
Depositing at an Amex Sportsbook
If you’re new to online gambling, chances are you will need to familiarize yourself with a few aspects of the experience. Just follow these simple steps that will help you complete your deposits in a jiffy:
1. Create an Account at an Amex Sportsbook
Your first step will be to choose a suitable sportsbook that accepts Amex payments. You may simply refer to our list. Thereafter, complete the sign-up process that should take a few minutes at the most. For those that already have an account, use your credentials to log in.
2. Head to the Payment Page and Enter the Necessary Details
After logging in, navigate to the cashier option in the sportsbook main menu. From there, choose deposits and select Amex as your preferred payment method from the list provided. Next, a new window (Amex deposit page) will pop up prompting you to enter both your personal and card details. You’ll also need to enter the amount of money you wish to deposit and any bonus code you may have.
3. Submit Your Request
You’ll want to confirm that the details provided are correct before hitting the submit button. Once you’re satisfied, you can authorize the transaction and wait for the funds to be transferred into your sportsbook account.
Note: Make sure your bank allows gambling transactions before making any deposit, or at least try to confirm with other players that you may deposit via Amex at the betting sites you want to.
What happens if your deposit fails to clear? The upside is that you needn’t worry about your money ever being lost. A transaction just ‘bounces’ and your money will return to your account – or the bank wouldn’t authorize the transaction in the first place. Either way, you are completely safe.
Withdrawing from an Amex Sportsbook
Making withdrawals from your sportsbook is easier than making a deposit. For this, you’ll need only two steps as outlined below:
1. Sign into Your Sportsbook and Choose Amex Withdrawal
Using your credentials, log into your sportsbook account and head to the payment page. Under withdrawal, choose Amex as your preferred withdrawal method.
2. Enter the Required Details and Submit Your Request
This will include your personal and card details such as the CVV number, card number, and expiration date. Don’t forget to specify the amount of money you wish to withdraw. Authorizing the transaction is the final step and it’s recommended that you confirm all the details before hitting the submit button.
If you do mix up your information, you needn’t worry too much about it – your transaction will either fail to clear or your money will be returned to you quickly as bank fail to deliver to a recipient. Amex sports betting sites usually have an impeccable reputation, giving you a little peace of mind when you choose this method.
Withdrawal and Deposit Transfer Times at an Amex Sportsbook
Just like other cards, Amex deposits are instant, meaning that players will be able to use their funds to bet on their favorite sporting event. For withdrawals, expect to wait up to 5 business days for your money to show in your bank account.
Compared to other payment methods, e-wallets to be precise, this is way too long. Having said that, the transfer times will depend on the sportsbook’s internal systems. On the other hand, this payment method is faster than wire transfers.
Scoop Up a Great Amex Betting Bonus
There’s always a great bonus to pick here and there, and you will find Amex-friendly website to offer just as many promos and sign-up offers as any other bookie. Make sure you drop by a sportsbook that runs a fair number of promotions. Other than the welcome bonus, Amex betting sites offer options such as Acca boosts, single-match bonuses, and season bargains.
Advantages of Using Amex
Amex is still the favorite credit card used by many bettors. This brand offers several benefits listed below.
- Instant transfer: You can withdraw your money fairly quickly because all transactions are processed instantly. No hassle and long hours to send from or to your Amex account.
- No third parties: Similar to other card issuers, transactions are strictly between banks. This means you don’t need intermediaries such as e-wallets to facilitate a transaction. This is also the reason why deposits are fast and cheap.
- Security and reputation: Making online deals can be precarious at times. Not all of us are sure about the status of financial companies. Safety and well-known reputation are the most vital items Amex provides. Amex has existed for a long time and been a global brand in the commercial service industry. Therefore, people are sure that this name offers the best safety measure in protecting its customers while doing online transactions.
- More significant credit limits: Amex cards offer flexibility for you to fund your gambling account as they accommodate a more extensive credit amount than any other card.
- Convenience: This is also an essential factor. Using Amex cards for any transactions is very simple. All you need are your card and personal details and the best part is that you can do all this from the comfort of your home.
Disadvantages of Using Amex
No matter how reputable a brand is, nothing’s flawless in this world. Amex as a payment method also has some downsides.
- Less familiar than VISA or MasterCard: Not all online sportsbooks accept Amex card, despite its prominent reputation as a financial service business. Nevertheless, you don’t have to worry about it because some take Amex as a payment method.
- Not every sportsbook allows withdrawal: Even if those online bookmakers branded as Amex betting sites accept the card, you won’t find it easy to withdraw your money. This is because those online sportsbooks only take Amex as payment. For withdrawal, you need to link your Amex card with an alternative option or a bank account.
- It is not entirely free of charge: You may need to pay a processing fee on your deposit or withdrawal, depending on the terms of your chosen online sportsbook.
Comparing Amex with Other Payment Methods
American Express is as famous as VISA and MasterCard, and together they are the most used credit cards for online transactions, including for online gambling purposes.
As explained above, many online bookmakers accept Amex, but only a few allow withdrawal to your card. This is perhaps one of the main differentiating factors when it comes to Amex versus VISA and MasterCard.
Types of Cards
Amex has various types of credit cards designed to address the needs of its customers. Basic is the lowest level, and you can upgrade it to the Centurion – for VIPs and high rollers. Of course, there are income thresholds on each level, as well as perks, fee structures, and other things.
For gambling, you can use any card, either Basic or Centurion. However, if you gamble using the more exclusive cards, you will get many benefits such as lower fees, rewards, and so on. You must also remember that American Express is not a bank but a card issuer.
Using Third-Party Affiliates with Amex
Citizens of the United States will have issues trying to make deposits using an American Express card due to legalities and policies set forth by the US government. That being said, there are ways to work around the regulations by utilizing a third-party or middleman.
One of the most popular third-party gambling entities is Neteller. Neteller will allow you to use your American Express card to deposit money into the Neteller account, then you can send money from the Neteller account to your online sportsbook. There are some additional fees absorbed by using 2 transactions but if American Express is your card of choice, it may be worth it to you.
Another way to save yourself any issues is to look up Amex betting sites that operate within your state. Since the industry has been legalized, there are more bookies that are happy to offer you familiar payment options.
Amex Helps with Bankroll Management
One of the unique features of using an American Express card to make a deposit at an offshore online sportsbook is the fact that Amex obligations must be paid the following month, for most cards. This means that most people will be cautious about how much money they will deposit based on the fact that they have to pay that back the following month.
In addition to paying back the obligations the following month, there are also deposit limits and fees set forth by the online sportsbooks that prevent players from making multiple deposits in the same week, while using an American Express card.
Overall Conclusion of Amex
Our overall opinion regarding using the American Express card to make deposits is sort of mixed. There are some benefits when using Amex betting sites, but there are also some disadvantages of using the Amex card.
We feel that there are options that’ll give you more bang on your buck than the fees accrued by using the American Express card. Even when you’re using a service such as Neteller, the extra fees that you will take on simply don’t make it beneficial to use the American Express card.