NBA Betting has grown with each year and now has become one of the most gambled on sports during the months of February and March. NBA Basketball Gambling has gone from being a hobby when football and baseball were not in play to a adventure that is taken part in all season long.
When you are betting on NBA Basketball, it is very important to make sure you find a very reliable offshore sportsbook for many reasons. In this article, we will cover the reasons why it is so important to do your due diligence and find a offshore sportsbook that is compatible with your style of betting as well as the basics of betting on basketball.
Top NBA Sportsbooks of 2019
- 4.9 / 5.0
- 4.7 / 5.0
- 4.5 / 5.0
- 4.3 / 5.0
- 4.0 / 5.0
First, let’s lay out some of the basics of basketball betting to improve your chances when you see a matchup you want to bet. The NBA is a long season with a lot of games so there are many opportunities to lay a smart bet. Follow the sport, the trends and these tips and you’ll be on your way to not only making good bets but making good money as well.
For a fantastic introduction to NBA betting, check out our Sports and Vegas Odds Podcast episode where Ryan breaks down how to bet on the NBA:
How to Bet on Basketball – The Basics
Developing a strategy to basketball betting (or any betting) is very important. You want to play consistently as to not repeat costly mistakes. You want to maximise your profits while limiting you risk. Luckily the NBA has plenty of games to help us find the right play. Every day if we so choose. The more you follow the games, the more trends you’ll see. Then you can develop your own basketball betting guide to employ every time you place a bet. Here are some strategies to keep in mind.
- Check the Injury Report – The turn around on NBA games is very quick. They typically only have one or two days between games and several back-to-backs throughout the year. Because of this, the official injury reports are constantly being updated. Check them out before placing a bet! A good team missing one of their best players is no longer a good team. The NBA is a long tough season and only a few players ever play all 82 games. Resting players due to injury or just for rest can significantly alter games. Remember to check the injury reports as closely you check the lines.
- Home Teams, Always Home Teams – Home teams win in the NBA just as with all other sports. The good teams cover at home. The bad teams cover at home. Keep that in mind.
- Back to Back games – NBA players hate back to back games. There are never many of them in a season but there will always be a few. The main reason they dislike them is because they are never at home. Usually game one is played and then they travel over night and play game 2 the next day. Basketball is tiring. Travel is tiring. Doing both for 48 hours must be exhausting. For this reason, the teams playing game 2 of a back-to-back are primed to lose. Take note of the schedule and these teams and bet accordingly.
- Ride a Winner – Every season a handful of the better teams will have long winning streaks. Whether it’s because of a home stand or a soft part of the schedule. The better teams get hot and go on big runs of wins. Six games, eight games, even 12 game win streaks are not at all uncommon. Ride these teams. Wagering on a hot team is never a bad bet.
- Road Trippin’ – The travel schedule in the NBA is hectic. Short stints at home, back to backs with travel in between, long road trips. Take note of where every team played the day before. A team playing their 2nd game in as many days while on the road is a tired team and therefore a bad bet. Sometimes, just going .500 on a long road trip is considered a success.
- Big Favorites – As the season goes on the good teams separate themselves from the rest pretty quickly. These teams pile up wins and will end up with 50 or even 60 wins. That’s two or even three wins for every loss. Keep track of the top two or three teams in each conference. These teams win and win big.
- Love the Parlay – Parlays are a great play as a NBA betting strategy. For one, there are multiple games everyday and you’ll have plenty of good options. Bundling two or three teams together into a single bet can give you a good payout without much risk. You’ll want to keep the parlay small. Two or three teams and then apply the NBA betting tips from above. Use the moneyline for the favorites. Make simple plays because a parlay already pays well.
- Tankers –On the other end of the spectrum are the tankers. Tanking has become a big problem in the NBA. Probably because it’s such a smart play for a bad team. Bad teams are bad because they have bad players. The easiest way to get good players is the NBA draft. The best players in the NBA draft go to the worse teams so it only makes sense for bad teams to lose in order to get those players. Until the NBA changes how this is structured, bad teams will tank and you can use this to your advantage. Tanking teams aren’t out there intentionally losing games by missing lay-ups and throwing the ball out-of-bounds. What they will do is bench their best players. Or even shut them down for the season. They’ll trade away any player with any value. All of the tanking moves are made in the front office and not on the court. Keep track of this race to the bottom just as you note the races for playoff position.
There are plenty of NBA betting tips out there and you need them to inform your NBA betting strategy. The most important thing to remember is that the NBA season is a long one and there will be plenty of streaks, injuries, and trends to track.
Following only a few teams limits your ability to make the best bets. Get to know the entire league. Those teams that are heavy favorites every night and the tankers trying desperately to lose as much as possible. By doing so you’ll give yourself the advantage you need to make the smart bets and pick the winners.
Just like hockey or baseball, the sheer volume of games in the gives us plenty of good bets in basketball. But we must use it to our advantage and be picky with the bets we place on the best sports betting sites. The NBA provides us with plenty of value for our money, it’s just up to us to find it.
Different Basketball Betting Wagers
Basketball betting gives you plenty of options. Point spreads, the moneyline and the over/under are listed every day on every sports page. Knowing which bet to use is as important as knowing which team to bet on. Some are to be exploited and others are to be avoided.
- The Point Spread – Playing the point spread is the most popular bet for every sport and basketball is no different. Because of all the offense in the NBA, the margin for error while playing the point spread is small. Free throws down the stretch are as important as three pointers when you play the point spread. Luckily the NBA is a long season with plenty of games played every day. Because you have so many options you can always find one or two favorable point spreads. Be sure to look at all your options.
- The Moneyline – The moneyline in the NBA can be a good bet when used properly. The lines for favorites get way out of hand and should never be used. When teams are -800 or -1200 favorite there is no reason to bet them. Sure, you will probably win but there is never much return. And if there is an upset you’ve really lost out. Underdogs on the other hand can provide plenty of reward without much risk. If you like an underdog for an upset, put it on the moneyline.
- Parlays – The parlay is a great bet for the NBA because of the number of games played each and every day. Finding 2 or 3 or even 4 favorable matchups is easy to do when there are 15 games in a day. Parlays should always be played conservatively because you will need a few favorites to come in. And the moneyline helps too. Study the schedule for several games and bundle them together for one good bet.
- Over/Under – The NBA is the only league I really like the over/under bet. All it takes is for one shooter to get hot and the scoring will go through the roof. Everyone knows this and most people bet the overs. Unfortunately, the oddsmakers also know this and they set the line accordingly. The over/under line is always going to favor the under simply because more people play the over. When looking to lay a over/under bet always look for the under. Forget that overs exist, find a matchup that looks too high and take the under.
What Defines a Great NBA Betting Experience?
The question is often posed “What Do I Look For In A Offshore Sportsbook”. The answer to that question is fairly simple and is always answer basically the same way. The short answer is what do you want in a sportsbook? The answer is always found from within and with NBA betting, it is rather simple.
First and foremost, what types of wagers to you most commonly use when betting on the NBA? Most people prefer the common straight point spread wagers that we are all familiar with. Point spread wagers are basically a predetermined point spread that a team must either win by or when added to their final score, must be higher than their opponent. Straight point spread wagers are probably the most popular NBA bet due to everyone’s familiarity with the wager.
Some people also like to use moneyline’s at NBA betting sites. Moneyline wagers in the NBA are becoming increasingly popular among underdog bettors because of the increased amount of money you can win compared to the investment required to win that amount of money at NBA sportsbooks. A money line wager is different than a point spread wager in the fact that you are not reliant on the point spread and the wager is decided by who wins the game. There are no point spreads involved with a money line wager. The other part that is different with money line wagers when you bet on NBA games is the amount of money involved can be plus or minus, depending on if you bet the favorite or underdog.
An example of that is if the line on the favorite in a NBA game is -150 and you wager $100.00, if your team wins, you will win $100.00 but if they lose, your loss will be $150.00 because they were the favorite in the game and the odds are basically stacked in their favor. Now, on the opposite side of the equation, if you pick an underdog for $100.00 and for example, they are +220 and once again, they lose, you only lose $100.00. That being said, if they win the game and upset the opponent, you would win $220.00 for a small $100 investment.
Therefore you want to make sure your offshore sportsbook offers many various options for ways to bet on NBA games. Check for the ones you use the most and make sure those types of NBA Sports Betting are available at your offshore sportsbook.
Does Your Sportsbook Have Various Banking Options?
Betting on the NBA can be extremely fun and when done correctly, very profitable. If you are profitable and come up with a system that works your going to want to make sure that your offshore sportsbook has many different banking options, of which you can send and receive money.
First, when you initially start your account, you’re going to need to fund it. We always recommend Bitcoin for your deposits simply because of it’s safe and secure means of protecting your money. When you make that deposit, you want to make sure it gets to the right place and ends up in your account in a timely manner. We have found that Bitcoin is the fastest way to exchange funds from one account to another and due to its encryption, very safe!
The same applies when you win and want to make a withdrawal. You are going to want to receive your winnings in a timely manner and let’s face it, no one really wants to wait weeks on end waiting for a check to come in the mail. With Bitcoin, your money is sent fast and in some cases, fee free!
When Are NBA Odds and Lines Released?
Another very important aspect of a good NBA Betting Site is the time frame in which odds and lines are released. Some sportsbooks are adamant about not releasing odds or lines while there are other NBA games in progress. This means that many games will not be released until the following day.
There are still NBA Betting Sites that will release the lines early and those are the basketball betting sites that you want to take advantage of and start an account with. There are times when it is very frustrating to bet on the NBA because the line is not released for one game but you want to take advantage of another game in a parlay. Without both lines being released, it is impossible to place that wager. That is another reason why it is so important to find the right offshore sportsbook for your NBA Betting.
Finally, are those lines and odds competitive for NBA Basketball Betting? If you look at 5 different NBA Betting Sites on a normal night, you may find 5 different lines to one game. This just means that you have to find what style of bettor you are and go with the sportsbook that sort of favors that style. For example, if you are a heavy underdog player in the NBA, then of course you’re going to want to look for a sportsbook that gives heavy lines for the underdogs in the game.
That being said, if you play the money line often and go with the favorite, you will want to make sure you find a sportsbook that has competitive money line odds so that you aren’t losing more than at another site.