The National Football League, or the NFL for short, has always been one of the most popular sports to bet on. Both professional gamblers and those who wager for fun have spent years trying to perfect the process of NFL betting. In the past, betting on the NFL was simply the case of picking one team to beat another team by a certain amount of points. You would bet on either the favorite or the underdog, and that was it.
Top NFL Betting Sites in 2020
These are the best sportsbooks that we recommend as of 2020 based on bonuses, odds and overall betting experience:
- US Players Accepted
- Promo Code: BOL1000 (Minimum Deposit: $55)
- US Players Accepted
- Promo Code: VEGASODDS (10x Rollover Requirement)
- US Players Accepted
- Promo Code: SB1000 (Minimum Deposit: $25)
- US Players Accepted
- Promo Code: VEGASODDS (3x to 10x Rollover Requirement)
- US Players Accepted
- Promo Code: ROOKIE100 (6x Rollover Requirement)
However, this is no longer how it is. Modern day gambling provides us with a variety of options when betting on NFL games, so whether you’re a fan of the point spread, the total plays, or prefer to bet solely on parlays, you’ll find something that appeals to you. Better still, the majority of the offshore sportsbooks provide you with the ability to bet on NFL games throughout the preseason, the regular season, and the postseason, so you can indulge in the sport all year round.
At Vegas Odds, we know how to bet on NFL football, and we can guide you towards the best betting sites. Before you can safely participate in NFL betting though, you need to know the basic types of bets that are available. Here is a brief overview of the types of wagers that can be placed when betting on the NFL.
Types of Wagers in the NFL
- Point Spread – A point spread wager is simply picking a team to win by a certain amount of points or picking a team to win a game with the help of a certain amount of points. The favorite in the game will always be minus points while the underdog will be plus points.
- Moneyline – A moneyline wager in the NFL is essentially a bet where you only pick the side, with no point spread involved, and your team must win the game in order for you to triumph. These types of NFL bets are based on odds, with the favorite usually being minus odds and the underdog being plus odds.
- Totals (Over/Under) – A total play is betting that the combined score of both teams will go over or under a predetermined amount of points.
- Parlays – A parlay in the NFL is no different than a parlay in any other sport. It is basically a combination of two or more wagers on a single ticket with an increased amount of money available to win.
- Teasers – A teaser bet in the NFL is a combination of two or more wagers, which adds or takes away a certain amount of points from the point spread or total. All of the wagers that you place on your bet must win by or with the points, in order for you to receive a payout.
- Prop Wagers – A prop wager is a proposition that the offshore sportsbook will put out, and you pick a side of the prop. There are props for the game, for individual players, and in the larger games, there are even entertainment props.
- Future Wagers – A future wager can be described as picking a team to win in the future. This means you pick a team to win the Super Bowl at increased odds due to the fact that the season isn’t over, or in some cases, it hasn’t even begun.
How to Bet on Football – The Basics
The NFL and sports betting have been a perfect match since Joe Namath and his Jets beat the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III. America loves an underdog, and this particular upset propelled the NFL to the next level in fans and sports gambling. While the league ratings and popularity tend to fluctuate from time to time, the number of wagers placed every year continues to rise.
Knowing how to bet on football is a key part of the game, and it’s a question that is asked all the time. NFL football is the most popular and the best sport to bet on. There are only 16 games played, which is far fewer than any other sport. With a week between the games, you’ll have plenty of time to gather information and analyze the data. Use this time to your advantage and bet wisely.
There are many theories and systems in football betting, and it’s important to consider as many as you can. Do your homework and develop your own NFL betting guide. Here are a few strategies to keep in mind, along with some basics of football betting.
1. Big Underdogs Cover – The NFL is one of the toughest leagues in the sports world. The players are big, fast and mean, and they don’t like each other very much. These guys are consummate professionals. The NFL’s worst team is comprised of the best of the best players in the world, so it is little wonder that the games are so exciting and the scores often so close.
This is why double digit point spreads are so good. It’s tough to win in the NFL, and winning big is even tougher. Does it happen? Of course, but blowouts are few and far between in most NFL games. When you opt for the favorite, you are ‘giving points’, but the advice is not to ‘give’ double digit points. The worst team opening the game with a two touchdown lead against the best team is likely to be a good bet.
2. Bet with the House – The point spread will move as the week goes by, and this will indicate where the public is betting. Basically, this strategy suggests you bet against everyone else because the house is most likely to win.
If more people take the favorite, the points they are giving will go up. In this scenario, you take the underdog. If more people are picking the underdog, the points they are receiving will go down. In this situation, you take the favorite. Watch the way the line moves to know where the money is going and then bet with the house.
3. Home Teams Win – It’s that simple. The statistics show that an underdog at home gets points as often as the favorites do. There’s clearly something about being at home because that’s where the best NFL bets get placed.
4. Home Plus 3 – It’s generally accepted that the home team have an advantage, and this is reflected in the way that the odds are calculated. The home team gets three points automatically, and this can really shake things up. The three-point rule is particularly significant on close games, although it can be helpful on every line.
If a home team is listed as -3, it actually means that they are considered an even match with their rivals. Nine point favorites at home are actually closer to six point favorites. This rule is the key to determining a good bet from a bad one. Are you still confident in your bet after the three points are taken into account? If so, you have a good bet. If not, maybe just move on.
5. Parlays are your Friend – Parlaying a few heavy favorites on the moneyline is generally good play. You can always find two or three games to bundle together and give yourself a nice payout without much risk.
6. Know Your Betting Options – There is more than one bet in the house, and the advice is always to keep it simple when you first get started. There are good bets and there are bad bets, and until you are familiar with props and teasers, it’s best to stay away from them. If you want to play a parlay, keep it to two or three teams.
The betting options will vary from game to game, so it’s important to do your research and know which works well for you. The best bets give you a good return with little risk. Determining if a bet is worth the risk is the most important part of laying any bet.
7. Know the Sport – To be successful when you’re betting on the NFL, you must know the NFL, and this goes further than the casual fandom. Read, watch, and listen to everything that’s available. The NFL is such big business these days, and not a day goes by that an in-depth discussion about the NFL isn’t taking place. There is a ton of
information to be had from Draft Day until the Super Bowl, so use it to your advantage and learn the NFL.
8. Point Spreads are not Handicapping – When they see the point spread in the paper, many people think that it is handicapping, and that a 3 point favorite will probably win by 3 points. Nothing could be further from the truth. The point spread is made to get you to bet and for no other reason.
The reason that the point spreads are usually the same at the various sportsbooks is because they all work together. They want to set a point spread that makes you bet. It’s vital to remember that sportsbooks are not doing you any favors. It’s your money vs theirs, and as they are the ones setting the line, they have the advantage. This is why it’s so important to watch the line.
9. Watch the Lines – One of the best aspects of NFL betting is that there is a week between games. This gives gamblers plenty of time to lay their bets, and this will change the point spread and odds as the week goes by.
If more people are taking the favorite, you’ll see the points they are giving go up. If more people are taking the underdog, you’ll see the points they are receiving go down. Over a week’s time, this can change the line dramatically. If you don’t like the point spread on a game, it’s best to wait a few days. It may change to one you like.
10. Bet with the House – The line change will also indicate where the house money is, and betting with the house is always recommended. When the points that the favorite is giving are going up, take the underdog. If the points that the underdog is receiving are going down, then take the favorite. The buildings in Vegas don’t get smaller after all, so betting with the house is usually a solid bet.
Everyone has NFL betting advice and tips. What you need is a NFL betting strategy, and you need one that works for you. Heed these rules, do your research and develop your own NFL betting strategy.
When learning how to bet on football, it’s important to keep it simple. Don’t bet on too many games at once and stay away from the prop bets. Bet on teams you know best and keep track of their trends. Stick to the basics. People have been betting this game a long time, and there are many ways to win. Find the way that works for you, and you can’t go wrong.
What to Look For in an NFL Betting Site
Before you sign up with any of the NFL betting sites, it’s worth doing a little homework to make sure that you know what you’re getting. At first glance, the websites may look fairly similar, but when you dig a little deeper, you’ll notice that there are some notable differences. A quick check through the main features will ensure that you’re registering with a site that’s suitable for you.
Is there a Welcome Bonus?
The welcome bonus is pretty much a standard feature at all of the sportsbooks, and being able to differentiate between them will allow you to select the one that is the most profitable for you. As you browse through the sites, you’ll find that there are several different versions, but these are the most popular ones.
- Sign-Up Bonus – With this offer, you are given a free amount of cash or a number of free bets. For NFL fans, this is a good opportunity to try out a few of the props bets or parlays without any risk.
- Match Deposit Bonus – In this version, the betting site matches your initial deposit by a specified percentage. This bonus is a great way to boost your bankroll.
- Sports Specific Bonus – You receive a bonus that is tailored for a particular sport, such as NFL betting, and the wagers are tailored around that sport.
Be Aware of Any Bonus Requirements
The sportsbooks are highly competitive in their attempts to secure new bettors, but make sure you are utilizing an offshore sportsbook that offers you a competitive bonus structure. Some of the newer offshore sportsbooks offer larger bonus features, but the likelihood of being able to achieve the requirements to receive the bonus becomes very difficult. Therefore, you want to find out exactly what the bonus is, what the requirements on the bonus are, and whether it is actually possible to utilize the bonus.
Understanding the Rollover
Nothing is ever free, and so it will come as no surprise that the welcome bonuses come with conditions attached. The rollover simply means that you have to wager a certain amount before you are able to withdraw any of your winnings. For example, if the bonus has a 5x rollover, you will need to wager five times your bonus and any deposit before you can take out any of your winnings.
Welcome Bonuses and Time Limitations
Another thing to consider is the time limit of your bonus. Many of the sportsbooks place a relatively short time frame on the welcome bonus, and if you haven’t wagered the amount required within this period, you will forfeit all of your winnings. As always, the advice is to read the terms and conditions carefully to ensure that you can meet the bonus requirements before you sign up for anything.
Other Bonuses and Promotions
As well as the welcome bonus, the majority of the betting sites run regular promotions for their existing members, and this is something to take into account when you’re shopping around. A sportsbook that has a range of special promotions for NFL betting is definitely going to be something of interest.
VIP Clubs and Rewards
Many of the sportsbooks provide VIP clubs and reward systems, and although these are often treated as an afterthought by bettors, they can be highly lucrative. In the main, you’ll be collecting points whenever you wager, and these can be cashed in for a variety of rewards, including free tickets to NFL games on occasion. Keep your eye on the special promotions for the VIP clubs, and take advantage of the additional points and rewards on offer.
NFL Betting Sites and Banking Options
When you’re looking around the betting sites, remember to look at the banking options and make sure that there’s one that’s appropriate for you. The majority of the sites will accept the major bank cards, and there is usually a range of e-wallet payment types, such as PayPal, available.
When making your selection, consider any fees that might be applied, although it’s usually free to make a deposit. Also, check the clearance times. Faster clearing times gives you better access to your funds, and this will allow you more flexibility with your NFL betting.
There are a few things to check in terms of making withdrawals, too. It’s often the case that there are more limitations on taking out your winnings than on making a deposit, and you may find that you have to switch to an alternative banking method for this. The other thing to verify is the speed of payout. Aim for a banking option that gives you speedy access to your winnings. Plenty of the betting sites will only take a few days to pay you out, which is far preferable to those that make you wait for weeks to get your hands on your cash.
Keeping Everything Safe, Secure and Simple
You want the experience to be as sleek as possible, from choosing which NFL team to wager on to collecting your winnings. With that in mind, there are a few additional things to think about when you’re signing up.
You need to be sure that your cash is protected during transfers, so it’s wise to ensure that the betting site that you’re using is secure. Most sites use SSL technology to provide an encrypted link during transactions, so look for this before you make any deposits, and never save any of your payment details or passwords online.
If you run into an issue while you’re placing a bet online, you’ll want the reassurance of a strong customer service at hand. The majority of the betting sites provide assistance on a 24/7 basis, and in most cases, you can reach them instantly on the live chat facility. This is something that should be one of the deciding factors when you are choosing between sites.
Along with being easily accessible, you want the customer service team to be capable of proving you with assistance. One way to establish the efficiency of the customer service team is to contact them before you register and put forward a few queries. You’ll know from the manner of the responses and the quality of the answers whether the site is a good fit for you.
The design of the site isn’t something that should just be discounted. It should appeal to you in terms of access as well as style. The best betting sites are well-organized, and you’ll be able to find all the information that you need instantly. This experience should be fun, after all, and you want to place your bets without any hassle. Go for a site that is easy to navigate and keep the process simple.
Some Additional Betting Tips
Ultimately, when you are looking for a NFL betting site, you are going to want to make sure that the site offers your favorite style of betting. This partially means looking for features such as over/under, point spread and moneyline, but there are a few other considerations that you might want to take into account.
Check for Competitive Lines
Another thing you want to look into is whether the offshore sportsbook has competitive lines. After many years in the industry, we have found that some offshore sportsbooks have considerably more competitive lines for the favorites, and others have more competitive lines for the underdogs. It will be your job to figure out which offshore sportsbook offers you the best available line.
Explore the Betting Limits
Another tip is to ascertain whether the offshore sportsbook has decent online NFL betting limits. Some of the best NFL betting sites will give you great limits, but there are still a few offshore accounts that put some restrictions on their clients to prevent those large winning wagers. These sorts of details will be in the small print, so check the terms and conditions to see what limits there are before you register with a site.
Time Your Bets Carefully
When you decide to bet on your games could be significant, so look for a betting site that is flexible. Many NFL bettors like to bet on their games early in the week, and this pattern has some merit. The idea is to get ahead of the public bias line movement and to get the line at what they feel is best for their play. This means that if you like a team that is currently favored to win a game by a field goal, you need to think about when to place your bet.
We all know that when public money is laid on one team, the line will move in that direction. Therefore, if you think that a lot of money will come in on a team that has caught your eye, you may want to bet it early in the week before the line moves.
Avoid the Uncertainty of Injuries
Another reason for placing your NFL bet early is that there may be injury uncertainties that could affect the line. If you place your NFL wager early, any potential injuries won’t affect your point spread, and you will be able to get your bet in at the original smaller line. Therefore, you should aim to find an offshore sportsbook that offers lines early enough for you to be able to reap the benefit.
Register with Multiple Sportsbooks
There’s nothing to stop you from joining multiple betting sites, and as long as you manage your bankroll properly, you’ll be able to maximize your betting opportunities when you do so. Membership at several betting sites will allow you to shop round for the best odds on the lines, and this will enable you to get the most out of your betting strategies.
The top NFL betting sites are generally those that have been recommended, so read the online reviews and do some research before making any definitive decisions. Once you’ve made a choice that you’re happy with, you can put all of your focus on following the games and placing strategic wagers. Good luck!
Latest NFL Headlines
Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl LIV defeating the San Francisco 49ers, 31-20. It is their first Super Bowl ever, and the first title since winning one in 1969 when they conquered the AFL. Fantastic Comeback for the Chiefs Andy Reid’s guys were behind 20-10 in the final period, and they even handed the […]
Lamar Jackson earned the NFL MVP title today, after being voted unanimously, becoming just the second MVP in history with such an achievement. The previous one was Tom Brady in 2010. Jackson Changing the Game The Baltimore Ravens’ QB had a magnificent season, during which he broke several records, while leading his team to the […]
Sabra’s Super Bowl LIV commercial stars drag queens Kim Chi and Miz Cracker. Bryan Cranston recreates the “Here’s Johnny” scene from The Shining (1980). Rick and Morty characters feature in the Pringles advert. Dog owner pays tribute to vets with a Super Bowl advert. TV commercials take about 33% of the broadcast of an average […]
With Super Bowl LIV upon us, there are multiple prop betting opportunities you can explore for yourself and make the right bets right away. Some will be a flip of the coin while others could be based upon your observations throughout the season. Table of Contents Super Bowl Props Will Open Multiple Betting Opportunities 1st […]
Twitch Rivals Streamer Bowl scheduled for January 30, 2020 $500,000 up for grabs for NFL and Fortnite players The event will be streamed live n Twitch With Super Bowl LIV around the corner, Twitch is hosting the Rivals Streamer Bowl series one last time before the big showdown. Tune in on Twitch to watch NFL […]
Kansas City Chiefs’ QB Patrick Mahomes is the man the world is talking about ahead of Super Bowl LIV as he’s the main contender for the MVP Award. Apart from betting on Patrick Mahomes, bettors now have the option to make props regarding his girlfriend, Brittany Matthews. With nearly 300k followers, Patrick Mahomes’ girlfriend is […]
Colin Kaepernick has been one of the most divisive figures in the NFL in the past decade He helped the San Francisco 49er reach the Super Bowl in 2012 and almost sealed the game with 34-31 score Kaepernick’s name is most likely going to be mentioned during the official Super Bowl LIV broadcast The San […]
Sportsbooks have released a number of prop bets about President Donald Trump and Super Bowl LIV POTUS approval rating could be lower than some Super Bowl overall team scores and longest reception yardage Is the President going to go on a Twitter spree during the Super Bowl? U.S. President Donald Trump has always seen himself […]
Date: Sunday, January 26, 2020 Time: 3:00 PM (Eastern Time) Venue: Camping World Stadium, Orlando, FL The NFL’s all-star game is less than a week away and bookmakers have come out with the 2020 Pro Bowl odds. The best players from the National Football Conference (NFC) will take on the best players from the American […]
The 54th Super Bowl is only a few weeks away, and while the Kansas City Chiefs remain the -120 favourites to win the signature event of the NFL season, there are also numerous interesting bets that punters could instead decide to find value by betting on. When: Sunday 2nd February Where: Hard Rock Stadium, Florida […]
From a long-shot to the favorites, Kansas City Chiefs are listed at (-125) to win the Super Bowl Kansas have known a few slow starts this season, but they have nevertheless bounced back and are now looking at their first Super Bowl title in 50 years 49ers went from (+4500) long shot to one of […]
Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers are going to meet in the Super Bowl LIV in Miami on February 2. The two sides have won their conferences in tonight’s matchups without too many problems, and advanced to the biggest spectacle of the season. Chiefs Stopped Henry KC defeated the Tennessee 35-24, but for one […]