NCAA College Basketball has grown exponentially over the past few years and is now considered one of the most widely gambled on sports in the United States. College Basketball once was only enjoyed during the time frame when NFL Football ended and MLB Baseball had not started. During that time, people would enjoy playing along in their office March Madness Basketball Pools and placing small wagers on NCAA College Basketball games during the conference championship tournaments.
People still enjoy the fun of March Madness but betting on NCAA College Basketball has grown with the times and is now wagered on from the beginning of the season all the way through the final game of the NCAA National Title Game at the conclusion of March Madness.
Top NCAAF Sportsbooks of 2019
- 4.9 / 5.0
- 4.7 / 5.0
- 4.5 / 5.0
- 4.3 / 5.0
- 4.0 / 5.0
NCAA Basketball betting can be found at nearly every offshore sportsbook throughout the world and in most cases, they will offer you several different types of wagers to bet on. In this article, we will cover the basics of college basketball betting and show you what to look for when searching for college basketball gambling websites, as well as give you a few pointers on what to avoid.
How to Bet on College Basketball – The Basics
One thing often overlooked, or maybe just forgotten due to all the Madness, is that the college basketball season is a long one. It stretches all the way back to Thanksgiving and there are many good bets to play well before your bracket is busted. Learn the basics of basketball betting. Develop your own basketball betting guide. Watch some games. It will only pay off more for you in March and hopefully a little more along the way.
Of course, as with any bet in any sport, you’ve got a reason you’re laying down your money. There are many factors to consider when predicting the outcome of every game. The prognosticators on ESPN do it for ratings and you should be doing it for you bets. Here are a few things to keep in mind to give you the best bet possible.
- Conference Play is Brutal – Once the teams start in conference play the season really begins. And it is usually a very competitive season. The best teams will still lose 3 or 4 games in conference. And the reason is simple. These teams know each other. Year after year they will play each two or three times in a season. And it’s tough to beat a team twice in the same year. Taking the underdog and the points becomes a good bet late in the conference season. A moneyline bet on an upset can pay big with little risk. Always check the head-to-head records before laying a bet.
- Home Games – It’s no secret that home teams keep a big advantage in every sport and college basketball is no different. Allen Fieldhouse, Cameron Indoor, the Smith Center. These are all places no one wants to play. The student sections are crazy and can definitely sway a game. Before playing a bet, note where the game is and how that team plays at home. Certain teams go years without losing at home and it’s good to know who they are.
- Good Teams are Hard to Bet Back to Back – The good teams are going to lose. As mentioned, upsets are common in this league. But one thing good teams do is rebound from a loss. Fast. The next team they face will feel the brunt of that loss more often than not. Picking good teams to cover even as much as 15 to 20 points after a loss is a good bet. They are eager to right the ship and nothing feels better than a blowout win.
- Senior Night – At the end of every year, usually the last home game of the season, college basketball teams will have their “Senior Night.” This is simply a night to honor the departing seniors as they play their final home game. Parents give speeches, video montages are shown, jerseys are retired. It’s a great night for the team and university. Home teams are always a good bet but home teams on Senior Night are even better. If they are getting points, take them. If they are giving points. Give them.
- Beware of Travel – In the day and age of increased television coverage, many teams will find themselves crossing the United States to play a game. There are plenty of tournaments and made-for-TV matchups that will have teams far from home. Pay attention to where these teams are coming and going from. UCLA playing in NYC? Virginia playing in Oregon? These would be bad bets. This type of travel is good for everyone except for the players. These are 20-year-old college students after all and having to travel from coast to coast does them no favors.
- Upperclassmen – While the “One and Done” era has changed the landscape of college basketball, one thing remains the same: Teams with upperclassmen are tough to beat. This is the reason the mid-majors do so well in the tournament. They’ve played together for years. They are grown men. And they simply have the experience to know how to win games. When you are looking for a team to ride with. Find one with plenty of Juniors and Seniors.
Don’t wait until March to place a bet on college basketball. College basketball has wonderful teams, great programs and competitive conferences. Follow the season. Watch some games. Place a few wagers. It will only make you that much better come March and you may make a few bucks on the way.
Betting on college basketball doesn’t have to start in March. Let this be the start of your basic guide to betting basketball. It’s good to have a few tried and true strategies in your pocket before placing any bet with the best sportsbooks and college basketball isn’t any different.
What Makes an NCAAB Offshore Sportsbook Great
When you initially begin looking for a place to make wagers on NCAA College Basketball, you are going to want to make sure that the sportsbook offers more than just normal straight wagering. A good reliable sportsbook will give you the ability to change your types of wagers and give you a decent variety of college basketball betting options.
The following are several types of wagers that are commonly found at reliable and reputable offshore sportsbooks:
- Point Spread Wagers – Probably the most popular form of NCAA Basketball Betting is by utilizing a point spread. A point spread is defined as a predetermined number that your team either has to win by or when added to their final score, must surpass the opponents total amount of points. In these type of wagers, the favorite is always minus a predetermined amount of points while the underdog will gave a certain amount of points added to their score.
- Moneyline Wagers – Another increasingly popular means of College Basketball Betting is the Moneyline. The moneyline is basically a wager that is placed where you are simply betting a particular team to win a game. There is no point spread involved in these types of wagers but the winning and losing amounts of money are based on odds. The favorites in the game will be minus odds while the favorite will be plus odds.
- Over/Under Total Wagers – One of the most popular wagers in College Basketball Gambling is betting on the over or under. These types of plays are defined as the combination of both teams scores to go over or under the posted total.
- Team Total Wagers – Team Total Wagers in College Basketball are becoming more and more popular because you really aren’t betting that a team will win or lose, you are betting that a team will simply score above or below a certain amount of points.
It’s important to note that parlays are generally to be avoided. There are simply too many upsets every week to bet parlays well. For a parlay to be truly successful you will need a few favorites to come in. But college basketball doesn’t work that way.
You are also going to want to make sure that the offshore sportsbook allows small and large wagers and your limits are agreeable with your style of betting. If you place large wagers on college basketball betting, then you want to make sure that your offshore sportsbooks limits are within your wager amount.
Also, what type of wagers do they accept? Do they allow straight wagers, parlays and what are their payoffs on those parlays. These are all questions that you will need to ask yourself while you are doing your due diligence in reference to finding a offshore sportsbook for your NCAA Basketball Betting.
Competitive Odds and Lines
One thing that is very important with NCAA College Basketball betting is getting fair and even odds, and also getting odds in a timely manner. There are sportsbooks that favor underdog players and those that are partial to favorite betters. It is important for you to determine if you wager more in College Basketball Betting on the favorite or the underdog.
Additionally, when are those odds released. Some people like to bet on their college basketball betting plays early so it benefits them to have a sportsbook that releases odds early enough that they can place their wagers and not be required to wait until early in the day of the game. People bet on College Basketball early for various reasons such as anticipated injuries, inactive players and many other reasons. This is why those type of bettors will want to make sure that they are with a offshore sportsbook that releases their lines early.
Finally, you are going to want to ask yourself if you can make banking exchanges such as making a deposit, making a withdrawal, or and when you make those deposits, what type of bonus structure is set up for NCAA College Basketball Betting. Most all reliable offshore sportsbooks will now offer various options for banking, including Bitcoin, Visa, Mastercard, Checks, Neteller, E-wallets and much more!
All though we prefer Bitcoin for all of our financial exchanges with offshore sportsbooks, some people will still want to make their deposits by using a credit card or bank wire transfer. This is why it is important when you are looking for your looking for a offshore sportsbook, that you make sure they have multiple options for your banking options.
Also, when you make these deposits, what type of bonuses are you offered? Offshore sportsbooks are eager to earn your business and do so by offering various bonuses such as cash options, free plays and covering the cost for you to make a deposit with them. Make sure that you are offered something each and every time you are making a deposit!