When it comes to popularity for betting on football, there is no question that the NFL takes the cake for being the most popular and also for having the most amount of money bet each year. That being said, NCAA football betting is not far behind and is increasingly gaining popularity each year.
Part of the reason that college football is less popular and doesn’t have as much money wagered is due to the fact that the college football gambling season only lasts either 12 or 13 weeks, depending on the conference. The college football postseason lasts for one, possibly 2 extra games so at most, a gambler can only wager on 14 weeks of college football games per team.
When you compare that to the NFL’s 16 game regular season, four-game preseason, and four-game postseason, it’s easy to figure out why more money is bet in the NFL then it is during the college football season. That means the season is stretched out much longer but overall, there are more teams in NCAA College Football so we believe in time, NCAA football betting will be equivalent on the same level as NFL football betting.
In this article, we will go over the basics of how to bet on college football, what makes up the best NCAA football betting sites and explain what to look for when considering college football gambling.
50% up to $250
50% up to $1000
50% up to $1000
75% up to $1000
100% up to $500
How to Bet on College Football – The Basics
When considering how to bet on college football it is important to remember you have plenty of options. Division I football has hundreds of teams and dozens of conferences. There are games 3 or 4 times a week. This means you will have to do a little more studying but it will be worth it once you find the bets with value. They are out there every week. It’s up to you to find them. Keep these things in mind before placing any bets.
- Keep Reading – Looking at odds and point spreads is one way to judge a bet. Just not the best. You really have to become a fan of the game and get to know it inside and out. Upside down. And not just one team or one conference. There is so much media coverage these days it is important to use it as much as possible. Finding a diamond in the rough is easier when you know what you are looking for.
- Home Teams – It’s really that simple. Home field advantage means everything in NCAA football betting. The Big House, The Swamp, Death Valley, The Bounce House. It’s hard to argue with nicknames like those. It’s the energy of these places that make the difference and it must be accounted for when placing a bet. The home team covers whether they are favorites or underdogs.
- No Undefeateds – Every good team is going to lose one game. At the end of the year, the top 10 ranked teams usually have 1 or 2 losses. Look for the tough games on every team’s schedule to see when one may fall.
- No Back to Back Losses – One thing good teams do is rebound quickly after a loss. The good teams won’t have two losses and if they do they aren’t going to be back to back. No matter the line, the next game they play, they cover and they cover big.
- QB’s Change Games – The talent level in college football is much more spread out than in the NFL so a few good players on a team can change a game. Keep in mind that the quarterback is the most important player on every team. They touch the ball every down after all. Take teams with a good QB. They can make all the difference.
- Big Schools Rule – The big NCAA programs are the same year in and year out. Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, every team in Florida. It is important to lock in on these teams as early as you can. First of all, they get the most media coverage which is important for research. And secondly, they get the best point spreads and odds because more bets are laid on a game with a big school. Get to know the big schools. They are the ones going to playing at the end of the year in the championship games, the bowls, and the national playoffs.
- Be Picky – Every Saturday there is a huge slate of NCAA football games. There are well over 100 Division I football
programs so each week you are looking at over 50 games being played. As opposed the 12 to 16 played each week in the NFL. This gives you plenty of options to choose from. It’s worth your while to pour over every game and find the best matchups, point spreads, and odds for yourself.
- Hard to Beat Twice – In the day and age of conference championships and national playoffs, some teams will face each other twice in the same season. It’s tough to beat the same team twice in the same year. Especially a good team. Keep in mind, these 2nd games will usually be played on neutral fields, negating any home field advantage and that these are good teams. Bad teams don’t play for championships. Conference or National. Check who won the first match up before laying a bet Championship Week.
- Watch the Lines – The point spreads will move as the week goes by and this will tell you where the public is betting. This strategy says you should bet against the public because, let’s face it, the house always wins. If more people are taking the favorite, the points they are giving will go up. You take the underdog. If more people are taking the underdog, the points they are receiving will go down. You take the favorite. NCAA football gives you a week between games to watch where the lines are moving. Watch them closely and make the smart bet.
Your college football betting strategy should begin with these tips in mind. Know the teams, know the schedules, watch the lines. This will help you all season long. Make the smart bets and make yourself some money.
All college football guides will tell you that research is the key to betting college football successfully. There’s a lot to learn but a smart gambler will put in the time, take note of trends, and get plenty of value for their money.
Type of Wagers in NCAA College Football Betting
College football generates plenty of interest nationwide and this is great for sports bettors. While there are plenty of bets to choose from the key to finding a good payout is understanding when to use those bets. Here is a quick run down of what types of bets or available for NCAA college football betting. Almost all offshore online sportsbooks offer the 3 main types of wagers that can be placed with college football gambling.
- Point Spread – The most common form of gambling, no matter if it’s the NFL or NCAA college football betting, is betting on a team to win the game plus or minus a predetermined number, which is also referred to as the point spread.
- Over/Under Total Plays – One of the most popular styles of gambling on college football is the over/under total plays. These are increasingly becoming popular due to the fact that NCAA football betting fans enjoy the aspect of being able to root for both teams to either score, if you play the over, or to play defensive, if you play the under. It is sort of a catchall to being able to wager and root for both teams.
- Wager on the Money Line – Placing a wager on the money line with college football betting is less popular due to the fact that people don’t like to risk losing extra money on the odds. Money line wagers in NCAA football betting, as well as all other sports, is based off of an odds number.
- Parlays – Parlays are a great value in college football. There are so many games every week to choose from finding two to three or even four games with obvious winners and favorable odds is easy. Scout as many games as you can each week and find these games.
- Futures – Rightfully so, futures bets have a bad reputation like so many prop bets. They take months to resolve. They’re long shots. This is all true. However, with college football there are a few plays with value. The National Champion future and the Heisman Trophy winner future. What gives these value is the fact that only 5 or 6 teams have a chance to win a national championship. There are only ever 3 or 4 players able to win the Heisman. Find one with good odds and you can be rewarded for your patience.
College Football Gambling Availability
It’s no secret that there are significantly more football games each week to bet on in NCAA college football due to the amount of teams split up between the conferences. There are currently 129 Division I football schools in the NCAA.
On any given night from late August until January, college football betting fans can find a game to wager on, whether it be a conference game on a Tuesday night or a heated rivalry under the Friday night lights, college football and college football gambling is available pretty much every day.
There is also the factor that the College Football Bowl season now lasts over 1 month long with games being played spread out throughout the month of December and part of the beginning of January, so this leaves ample opportunity to bet on College Football games.
What Should You Look for with Offshore Sportsbooks
When you initially start looking into an offshore sportsbook to do your college football gambling at, you are going to want to ensure that the sportsbook has the type of betting options you prefer. That means you want to check to see what their payouts are for parlays in college football betting, whether they offer teasers with college football bets and you’re also going to want to check to see if they offer any kind of prop plays for college football.
Many people get great enjoyment out of playing college football betting props and many are very successful at the venture. There are a ton of people that simply make a living off of betting nothing but props however they’re not as easy come by in college football gambling as they are in some other sports like the NFL, NBA and MLB. You will certainly want to do your homework and your due diligence to find out if the offshore sportsbook that you are considering offers these types of wagers.
Finally, NCAA college football gambling is very unique in the fact that some offshore sportsbooks favor certain styles of wagering and seemed to shave the points on that side of the game. On any given night you can take 5 offshore sportsbooks and compare the odds for a single game and literally get 5 different odds on that game.
This is why is very important that you do your due diligence and seek out the sportsbooks that benefit your style of betting. If you are in underdog player in college football gambling then of course you’re going to want to look for a sportsbook that gives increased point spreads that favor the underdog. On the other hand, if you more likely that the favorite with NCAA football betting, then naturally you’re going to want to look for an offshore sportsbook that favors the favorite of the games.
Hopefully after reading this article, you now have a better understanding of NCAA football betting and now know exactly what you’re looking for when selecting an online offshore sportsbook!