Betting on Major League Baseball, or the MLB for short, is one of the most complex and at times complicated sports to wager on. But when you have a reliable offshore betting sportsbook, the knowledge to bet on MLB, and the information to win — MLB Betting can be one of the most profitable among all major sports.
Baseball is commonly referred to as “America’s Pastime” due to its popularity among the younger generation and due to the fact that most kids growing up, play little league baseball and mold an interest in the sport from an early age.
Baseball Betting is not as popular as it’s viewership due mainly to the complexity of figuring out odds and the general public not understanding the concept. In this article, we will explain in detail what makes an offshore sportsbook a reliable source to bet on baseball and go over the basics of Baseball Betting.
50% up to $1000
50% up to $250
100% up to $500
50% up to $1000
50% up to $1000
How to Bet on Baseball – The Basics
From the Black Sox and Shoeless Joe to the Hit King Pete Rose, sports betting and MLB baseball, for better or worse, have had a relationship for over a century now. Even with its long storied history, it is common knowledge there is interest in the sport that goes beyond hometown allegiances or childhood loyalties.
I mean, the odds are printed right there on the sports page everyday. And they always have been. Everyone knows you can bet on baseball but not everyone knows the basics of baseball betting. So, let’s build a quick baseball betting guide to use all season long.
First we’ll look at the bets you need to use and then the strategies that make them work. How to bet on baseball is easy. It’s how to win that is tough.
Forget total runs in a game or total stolen bases in an inning. They are a waste of time. The key to picking winners is to understand baseball is a long game.
The games are long. The season is long. And baseball is also the most dependant on stats of all the sports. They are compiled game after game. These stats are considered before every pitch thereafter. And they should be considered before every bet as well.
- Starting Pitching – The starters of every game influence the line the most. The number of runs in the point spread and the odds on the moneyline. Good starts earn wins so go with the best starter. Be sure to note how the pitchers have performed recently to sure up your call. Is this pitcher an ace? Or a mid-season call-up? Did they throw a complete game their last time out? Or get shelled and pulled early? Know your starters and bet accordingly.
- Pitching Beats Hitting – Pitching is the most important aspect of a baseball game and therefore the most important aspect of a MLB betting strategy. All of the betting lines are based on the starting pitching matchup after all so knowing your starting pitchers, bullpens, and closers inside and out is a huge advantage. The old adage, “Good pitching beats good hitting every time,” is as true today as it was a hundred years ago. Find a few teams with solid pitching and you can win a lot of games.
- Homefield Advantage – Just as in every sport, playing at home gives teams a big advantage. Teams pitch better at home and hit better at home. Home teams win more games and home teams win more series.
- The Game Before – One game is not like the next in baseball. Though are a lot of games in a season and teams usually keep their last game fresh in mind. Statistic and outcomes usually even out over the course of a season. A team that scores a ton of runs one game probably won’t do it the next. Scoring bunches of runs is tough to do in the first place and even tougher to do it twice in a row. Look for teams to come back to Earth the day after a big offensive night. 10 runs, 14 runs don’t come around too often and when they do they aren’t around for long.
- Parlaying Aces – Every team plays every day in baseball. Or so it seems. Everyday there are heavy favorites playing and parlaying these teams together on the moneyline is a solid bet. You can get a good return with little risk by doing so.
- East to West – Watch for teams on long road trips. Especially if it is a team travelling from one coast to the other. This trips are long and grueling for teams and it is reflected in their play. Take the home teams and the easy money.
- Money over Points – The Moneyline is an odds bet where you simply pick a winner. The Runline is a points spread bet made especially for baseball. Because baseball is so low scoring the spread is low, usually just 1.5 runs and this affects the odds and payout. A Moneyline bet is smart if you are playing a long game, making bets on the same team, day after day. The Runline is a good bet when there is a good matchup and you want to make a big bet. The Runline is the harder bet to win so it’s wise to pick and choose the correct matchup with the best odds and payout.
- Easy Goes It – It is best to make conservative bets in baseball. It’s the long game we want to win. There’s another game tomorrow after all.
- Ballparks –Every ballpark in the majors is different from the rest and this makes scoring in every ballpark different. There is no regulation when it comes to dimensions of a ballpark beyond from the pitching mound to home and base to base. Some parks give advantages to the hitters while some give advantages to the pitchers. It’s good to know your parks and how teams play in them. This is especially helpful with Totals bets.
The baseball season is long and there is plenty of action out there. You need a strong MLB betting strategy in order to be successful for the long haul and paying attention to the small details of the season can make a big difference. Everything from injuries to weather conditions can change the matchup and give one team a big advantage over another. In order to make an informed bet, you must be as informed as possible.
Just as the game does, learning how to bet on baseball takes time. Build your own baseball betting guide as you play on the best sportsbooks. Look for the trends and note all of the stats you can and you’ll notice the bets playing out as the games do, with the good bets separating themselves from the bad just as the good teams separate themselves from the pack.
What Makes a Sportsbook Great for MLB Betting?
When you initially begin your process of finding an offshore sportsbook for baseball betting online, you are going to want to make sure that the sportsbook provides you with ample variations of wagers that can be placed in baseball gambling. These types of wagers vary from small to large and offer all of the basic options for placing those wagers.
Baseball betting isn’t as simple as just picking a team, there are many different ways to bet on baseball and without the ability to have these various options, you may be short changing yourself and not providing yourself with the right tools to be successful in baseball betting.
What Type of Baseball Bets Should the Sportsbook Offer?
There are tons of bets that are available with MLB Betting. Betting on baseball provides gamblers with more options than probably any other sport due to the variances in the types of bets. In this next section, we will discuss the different types of wagers that can be placed while betting on baseball.
- Run Line Wagers – Run Line Wagers are very similar to point spread bets that most people are familiar with from football or basketball. Run Line Wagers are basically a predetermined number that a team must win by or when added to their final score, will be more than the opposite team. Run Line Wagers usually mean that the underdog in the game will be receiving +1.5 runs while the favorite in the game will be -1.5 runs. This is not always the case, as there are times when one team can be as high as 2.5 runs. Those times are few and far between but it is not uncommon to see this a handful of times during the MLB season.
- Moneyline Wagers – Betting on the moneyline in MLB baseball is no different than betting on any other moneyline in another sport. With moneyline baseball bets, you are not betting on the Run Line, you are simply betting on who will win the game.
- Total Plays (Over/Under) – One of the most popular forms of baseball betting is playing the total for the Over/Under. This type of baseball wager is very similar to the over/under play in football or basketball. When you bet on the over/under in MLB baseball betting, you are wagering on the fact that the combined score between both teams is over or under the predetermined amount of points.
- Parlays – With a parlay you are combining a number of bets into one bet overall. Parlays can payout huge sums because they combine all the odds of the bets taken and are simply hard to hit. However, if you miss one of the bets in a parlay, it is a loss.
Does Your Sportsbook Offer MLB Bonuses for Deposits?
One of the things you want to look for when you are looking for an offshore sportsbook to bet on baseball, is do they offer you bonuses for making deposits? There are hundreds of offshore sportsbooks that are out there, all competing for your business. The way they earn your business is by being reliable with odds/lines, dependable with payouts and and by offering you bonuses that are enticing and interesting.
Not only do you want to find out if they offer you bonuses for making a deposit but you also want to make sure that the deposit bonus is achievable and realistic. Many sportsbooks will offer you enormous bonuses but they are totally unrealistic because they can’t be achieved within the restrictions of the sportsbook.
For example, many offshore sportsbooks will tell you that they will give you X amount of a bonus for making a deposit but you can’t request a payout until you roll over the bonus by 15 times. That would mean if you get a $200 bonus, before you can request a payout, you must wager $3000. The catch is you can only wager no more than 10% of the bonus amount with each wager. This creates a very tough time to achieve the requirements because of the restrictions. Know your restrictions well in advance before making the deposit or requesting the bonus.
When Are Your Odds Released?
Finally, the other thing to look out for when you begin your research is when the MLB Baseball Betting odds and lines are released. Many offshore sportsbooks will release early lines because most of the time, they know who the starting pitcher is a day in advance and therefore, they give out the lines well in advance so bettors can wager early.
This is especially important if you wager on a underdog and a major lineup change takes place overnight. This works out really nice when the opponent has an injury that affects their lineup. Many bettors make a living off finding injuries and players getting rested so they can wager early enough to still get the advanced odds.