Legal sports betting has been a reality in Iowa since August 2019 – it was the 11th in the United States to launch fully-fledged sports betting after the Supreme Court lifted the federal ban on sports betting.
In the landscape of sports betting, Iowa offers one of the most vibrant markets in the country today, something that can easily be seen from all the amazing wagering options that bettors in the state can access making sports betting in Iowa promising for both land-based and online bettors.
Launched and Licensed Iowa Sportsbooks
|Diamond Jo – Worth||FanDuel|
|Grand Falls||Elite Sportsbook|
|Hard Rock Sioux City||Hard Rock Sportsbook|
|Harrah’s Council Bluff||Caesars / Unibet|
|Horseshoe Casino||Caesars / Unibet|
|Isle Bettendorf||William Hill|
|Isle Waterloo||William Hill|
|Prairie Meadows||William Hill|
|Q Casino||Q Sportsbook|
|Rhythm City||Elite Sportsbook|
|Wild Rose, Clinton||DraftKings|
|Wild Rose, Emmetsburg||DraftKings|
|Wild Rose, Jefferson||DraftKings|
Iowa Online Sports Betting
Even though both retail and online sports betting have been legal in the Hawkeye State since August 2019, online wagering was limited to some extent. For a long time, the state’s gaming laws required in-person registration for anyone who wished to place online sports bets. Bettors were thus forced to visit land-based Iowa casino sports betting establishments and register in person if they intended to use any licensed mobile sports betting app in the state.
Online sports betting in Iowa just got easier:
Thankfully, this is no longer the case thanks to a recent update of the law that took effect in January 2021. Now, to experience online sports betting, Iowa residents can quickly and easily sign up with many of the state’s licensed online sportsbooks without having to visit a land-based venue.
Is Online Sport Betting Legal in Iowa?
Yes, Iowans can legally place bets online at any of the state-licensed and regulated sports betting apps or websites. Players can also legally wager on offshore online sportsbooks since Iowa does not have any regulations that outlaw the use of such platforms.
Iowa Betting Apps
Thanks to several lucrative partnerships between casinos in Iowa and popular sports betting brands, bettors in the state have access to a decent number of polished apps. Some of the outstanding sports betting apps that Iowans can choose from include:
- DraftKings Sportsbook (Most Popular Iowa Sports Betting App)
In addition to offering users in the state, massive bonuses, the app has built a reputation for listing the most popular sports markets in Iowa alongside several others. To top it all off, the app has some of the most competitive odds in the state.
- PointsBet Sportsbook (Most Unique Feature)
One thing that sets this sports betting app apart from the rest is its exclusive PointsBetting feature that is essentially a more fun but high-risk type of bet that offers the chance to win more. Bettors can stay engaged all through the duration of the game while still enjoying competitive odds, a massive selection of markets, and impressive bonuses.
- FanDuel (Iowa) Sports Betting
Iowans get to enjoy the industry-leading offerings such as massive bonuses, lots of promotions, and very competitive odds that made FanDuel a household name in US sports betting.
- Q Casino Sportsbook
This Q Casino-self-operating sports betting app is powered by the IGT sportsbook platform and thus benefits from all its perks. These include several sports markets, great odds, and amazing bonuses.
- Elite Casinos Sportsbook
Powered by the Bet.Works platform, this amazing app was the second to go live in the state and since then it has maintained a lead as one of the most popular options among Iowan sports bettors.
- Hard Rock Sportsbook
This offers players an expansive betting sheet powered by the highly-acclaimed Gaming Innovation Group (GiG). It also features amazing odds and a decent selection of bonuses.
- Bet365 (Iowa) Sports Betting
Bet365 is one of the most heavily requested apps in Iowa but despite the state having 13 regulated sports betting apps, Bet365 is not yet available to residents there.
Iowa Professional Sports Teams
Unfortunately for sports bettors in Iowa, there are no local professional major league sports teams for them to support as the state does not have any. This has led most fans to turn their attention to minor league sports teams in hockey, football, hockey, and basketball among other sports. Popular minor league teams include:
- Burlington Bees (MLPBC)
- Cedar Rapids Kernels (MLPBC)
- Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL)
- Cedar Rapids Titans (IFL)
- Clinton Lumberkings (MLPBC)
- Des Moines Buccaneers (USHL)
- Des Moines Dragons (IBA)
- Des Moines Menace (USL)
- Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)
- Iowa Cubs (AAA)
- Sioux City Explorers (NLB)
- Sioux City Musketeers (USHL)
- Siouxland Bombers (IBA)
- Quad City River Bandits (MLPBC)
- Waterloo Blackhawks (USHL)
Iowa College Sports Teams
Iowa might not be in the ‘Big Four’ sports leagues but their college basketball programs have been dominant for over a decade, as evident on any Iowa basketball betting line.
Here are the most popular collegiate teams in Iowa based on the league they are a part of:
NCAA Division I
Drake Bulldogs, Iowa State Cyclones, Iowa Hawkeyes and Northern Iowa Panthers.
NCAA Division II
Upper Iowa Peacocks
NCAA Division III
Buena Vista Beavers, Central Dutch, Cornell Rams, Dubuque Spartans, Grinnell Pioneers, Iowa Wesleyan Tigers, Loras Duhawks, Luther Norse, Simpson Storm, and Wartburg Knights.
Briar Cliff Chargers, Clark Crusaders, Dordt Defenders, Graceland Yellowjackets, Grand View Vikings, Morningside Mustangs, Mount Mercy Mustangs, Northwestern Red Raiders, St. Ambrose Fighting Bees, Waldorf Warriors, and William Penn Statesmen.
Des Moines Area Bears, Ellsworth Panthers, Indian Hill-Centerville Warriors, Iowa Central Tritons, Iowa Lakes Lakers, Iowa Western Reivers, Kirkwood Eagles, Marshalltown Tigers, Muscatine Cardinals, North Iowa Area Trojans, Scoot Screaming Eagles, Southeastern Black Hawks, and Southwestern Spartans.
Emmaus Eagles and Faith Baptist Eagles.
Iowa Sports Bars
Sports bettors in Iowa can choose from dozens of amazing sports bars each with its unique take on offering a stand-out sports betting and viewing experience. Depending on which part of the state you are in, here are the sports bars you can try out:
Iowa City Sports Bars
- Airline Bar & Restaurant – This is the perfect spot for anyone looking for an amazing American sports bar with bar food, burgers, and pizza.
- Coach’s Corner Sports Pub – The neighborhood-friendly sports bar that offers all the good stuff including an amazing selection of bar food.
- Players Sports Bar & Grill – There is a lot to look forward to at this locally-owned pub. Options here include delicious pizza and outdoor sitting among other things.
- 2 Dogs Pub – Visitors get to dive into an amazing world of sports that is further complemented by super tasty burgers and a pub experience.
- The Jobsite Bar – In addition to being very inexpensive, this venue offers an ambient setting with country music, lots of beers and all of the sports action most Iowans would ever want.
- Brothers Bar & Grill – Here you will find an amazing sports bar with lots of TVs and a nice menu to keep you busy as you enjoy cheering for your favorite teams.
Des Moines, Iowa Sports Bars
- Chicken Coop Sports Bar – Gamedays will never be the same for your once you discover this venue’s outstanding sports bar and the mind-blowing chicken menu.
- Johnny’s Hall of Fame Bar & Grill – Besides its great sports bar offering, this venue also features pool games, trivia, and a tasty snack or food selection for its visitors to enjoy.
- Gameday Kitchen & Cocktails – This sports bar-cum-restaurant is where to find all the sports action and enjoy amazing American meals.
Davenport, Iowa Sports Bars
- Rookies Sports Bar – The full-fledged sports bar offers an amazing dining experience that is made even better by the outstanding selection of drinks.
- Caddy’s Sports Bar & Grill – A classic American offering of a uniquely relaxed atmosphere that is made even better by the sports space which features several HD televisions.
- Roosters Sports Bar & Grill – This stands out as a great family getaway with tons of treats including a well-stocked bar, lots of food, and an amazing sports bar.
Dubuque, Iowa Sports Bars
- Jumpers Sports Bar & Grill – Enjoy a sports bar experience like no other with an assortment of some of the tastiest snacks including chicken wings and sandwiches.
- Mason Dixon Saloon – This is a barbeque and a sports bar all rolled into one making it an amazing getaway for sports lovers.
- 1st & Main – Visitors get to dive into a standout breakfast and brunch experience like no other at this sports bar.
Some honorable mentions that are not in the aforementioned Iowa cities are:
- Diamond Jo Casino Iowa Sports Betting Agency
- Tailgates in Coralville
- Briqhouse Bar & Grill in Waterloo
- Lucky Penny Pub in Hiawatha
- P’s Pizza House in Le Mars and Orange City
- T-Bock’s Sports Bar & Grill in Decorah
- Spectator’s Sports Bar & Grill in Altoona
- Wallaby’s Bar and Grille in Ames
- Sports Page Bar & Grill in Spencer
Iowa Sports Betting Regulations
Sports betting at both retail venues and online platforms is completely legal in Iowa. Anyone that is over the age of 21 can therefore legally wager on their favorite sporting activities and teams without having to worry about anything.
It took a bit of time for Iowa’s sports betting market to grow to what it is today and there is no better way to illustrate this than looking at a timeline of its biggest milestones.
May 6, 2019 – Iowa officially legalizes sports betting after its lawmakers passed SF366 to Governor Kim Reynolds who then proceeded to sign it into law.
August 15, 2019 – The state’s sports betting industry finally goes live with six mobile sportsbooks and 18 retail sports betting venues. However, mobile bettors had to register at the land-based venues before using the sports betting apps.
January 1, 2021 – This marked a whole new era for Iowa sports betting thanks to the expiry of the law that forced mobile bettors to register at land-based sportsbooks to place sports bets. Anyone over the age of 21 can now register and play from just about anywhere within the state’s borders.
Yes, online sports betting is completely legal in Iowa. Players in the state can be either on browsers or using the available sports betting apps.
Iowa was one of the earliest states to legalize sports betting and the sector has been regulated in the state since August 2019.
Iowa residents can bet legally at any state-licensed casino. To bet online, they can register at these same licensed establishments remotely using their personal details.
Any of Iowa’s 19 state-licensed casinos.