Many years ago, golf was a sport that was played by the rich and famous, and by those that were predominantly retired. Those are the days of the past and nowadays, golf has become one of the most popular sports to not only play, but also to wager on.
The recent popularity of daily fantasy sports has also played a major factor with increasing the amount of people betting on golf. Whether you are interested in betting on a regular PGA Tour Tournament, the US Open, Masters, European Open or other PGA event, most offshore sportsbooks will provide you with the ability to bet on these events.
50% up to $250
50% up to $1000
50% up to $1000
75% up to $1000
100% up to $500
Out of all of the sports that are available to bet on, golf betting can absolutely be the most profitable due to the odds, variations of ways to bet on golf and many other factors. That being said, none of those variables matter if you do not have a reliable offshore sportsbook. In this article, we will discuss the basics of how to bet on golf and what you will want to look for, to make sure you have a reliable golf betting offshore sportsbook.
How to Bet on Golf – The Basics
Golf is not only one of America’s favorite sports. It’s also one of America’s favorite sports to gamble on. From a weekend five dollar nassau to a country club seniors scramble, no matter the level of golf there always seems to be money on the line. And the sportsbook is no different.
Betting golf is one of the tougher plays in the sportsbook. This is because most bets have you picking one player versus the field. Of course, this can earn you big payouts but it’s a tough bet to lay down week in and week out. However, if you consider certain factors you can find plenty of value while betting golf.
To learn the basics of golf betting we will look at the strategies you can use. Golf is very competitive these days and in order to be successful in golf betting you are going to have to study up on all the latest tournament results and stats. Just like other sports, who’s hot and who’s not is the all important question but there are other ways to win so knowing the PGA well will be your greatest asset.
- Who is Due – Golfers get hot or go cold just like any athlete will. Golfers primed to win a tournament will have been showing well in the weeks prior to the win. You improve your odds dramatically when you are able to identify who these golfers are. They make all the cuts, a ton of birdies and finish strong. And just as there are golfers on a roll there are ones who are ice cold. They are missing cuts and not breaking par. Stay away from them no matter how big their name is. Let the golfer prove themselves before laying a bet on them.
- 2nd Tier Value – Everyone is going to bet Tiger. Everyone is going to bet Rory. Great golfers equals bad bets. When picking against the field you don’t want to take the favorite. Especially a heavy favorite. You need that second tier guy to get the good value on a golf bet. +200 is not enough of a return on your risk. You need to find the guy at +500 to +1200. Not a long shot but not someone everyone is taking.
- Know the Courses – Some players play well on certain courses or in certain tournaments. There are many reasons for this. It’s their home course or just a course they’ve played before. It’s in their hometown. Their game just matches the course well. Keep track of a tournament’s history to see who these players are and how they’ve finished in the past. Some courses, Pebble Beach for instance, are played several times in a year on Tour. Get to know the big courses and the tournament they host and which players play well there.
- Wait a Beat – Laying a bet before the tournament starts will get you the best outs for a good payout. However, waiting for the weekend will greatly improve your chances. The cut has been made and you’ll have a better idea of who is in position to win come Sunday.
- Major in the Majors – The four major tournaments (The Masters, The U.S. Open, The British Open, and The PGA Championship) bring out the best fields every year. These are tough tournaments on tough courses. It brings out the gamblers as well. You will find your best odds and best bets during these tournaments. Betting a favorite at a major is a great play. The odds and payouts will be better than usual because it takes such a special talent to win a major. Don’t miss one of these tournaments.
- And the Minors – There are a second tier of tournaments on the PGA Tour. These do not attract the big names or, if they do, there won’t be many of them. The odds and payouts are much bigger these weeks because the field is much more wide open. There is plenty of value here. Just with any golf bet, it’ll take some sifting but watching every tour event will pay dividends.
- Props for the Props – It will take some searching but there are good bets to be found in the golf props. Because golf is an individual sport knowing the strengths of certain players will help narrow down a smart play. For instance, birdie over/unders for a player you know makes a lot of birdies. The great thing about prop betting is you have plenty of options.
- Check in on Saturday – On the PGA Tour, Saturday is known as “Moving Day.” This is the day a golfer either moves into position to win on Sunday or if they fall out of contention. Checking in on the lines on Saturday afternoon is a smart play. Most of the field has been eliminated from contention or missed the cut completely. The odds will be lower but not by much so there is plenty of value on picking a winner on Saturday.
Golf betting strategy is just like any other sports betting strategy. You have to be able to find the bets with value and ignore the rest. Become a fan of the sport, do your homework, and lay a bet with low risk and plenty of reward. There are great plays in golf betting if you know your tournaments, your courses, and your players. A little research goes a long way so study up and start getting paid out.
While betting golf will prove to be a tough play, there is value out there, especially if you play on the top rated sites. You just have to do your homework to find it.
Best Type of Bets in Golf Betting
Betting on golf is one of the most unique sports to bet on because it isn’t as simple as just picking a team that is playing another team. In golf betting, you are picking one golfer that will be competing against nearly 150+ other golfers! This makes it of utmost importance to find a sportsbook that offers more than just straight wagers on golfers.
When you are looking for your offshore sportsbook, be sure to look to determine what type of golf wagers they accept. Some of the most popular forms of golf wagers are as follows:
- Odds Wager – An odds wager in golf is the equivalent of a money line wager in football, baseball or other sport that offer moneyline wagers. With the odds wagers in golf, the golfers are almost always plus odds. Even the main favorites in most tournaments will give you a decent return. Odds can vary with golfers from 2/1 all the way up to 2500/1. The odds really depend on the golfers current form, course history and how their styles matchup with the current golf course.
- Head to Head Wagers – If you enjoy betting golf but don’t like the odds equated with playing one golfer vs. 150+ golfers, then you should make sure your offshore sportsbook offers head to head wagering. With head to head wagering, you are simply betting that one golfer will finish the tournament with a better score than another golfer.
- First Round Leader Bets – Some of the offshore sportsbooks will give odds on who will be the first round leader for each tournament. These odds are usually much smaller than the overall winning golf bet but still offer the ability to cash in on some smaller wagers to build those bankrolls. The first round leader bet winners are determined after the first round is complete and whoever had the best score on the course for that first round.
- Top 5, 10 and 20 Finish Bets – Another wager in golf that has much lower odds but a decent chance to win is Top placement bets. Most offshore sportsbooks will offer Top 5, Top 10 and Top 20 place finish bets but not all. Some sportsbooks simply do not offer these type of wagers.
- Golf Props – You are going to find that betting golf becomes very fun and exciting but when you bring golf props into the equation, it takes the entertainment of golf to a whole different level. With golf props, you can pick how many tournaments certain golfers will win, if golfers will make cuts, how many consecutive cuts golfers can make, etc. These types of golf wagers are odds based so one must be careful what they are wagering on so they do not lose unnecessary money!
- Golf Futures – A decent offshore sportsbook that allows you to bet on golf will offer many options for golf futures. Some of the golf futures that most offshore sportsbooks offer are betting on the US Masters golf betting, the US Open golf betting, predictions on the tour championship and who will be the FedEx Cup Points Leader at the end of the year.
What Types of Golf Limits Do Offshore Sportsbook Have?
When you initially start wagering on golf, you will most likely start small, like most people but over the course of time, your wagers will most likely increase. You will want to make sure you check with the offshore sportsbook to determine what are the limits with golf betting. You will want to make sure that you can place small enough wagers to justify your larger odds bets but also large enough wagers to make it beneficial for those head to head wagers.
What Type of Banking Options Are Available?
One of the first and probably most important things to check prior to choosing a offshore sportsbook for your golf betting, is what type of banking options are available. You will want to make sure that you can not only make a withdrawal but also that you can fund your account and make a deposit.
Most reliable offshore sportsbooks will offer many options to make your deposits such as Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Bank Wires, and now, probably the most popular, Bitcoin. Bitcoin is by far the most secure form of making a deposit and provides you with the safety of anonymity.
Another nice part about using Bitcoin is that many of the offshore sportsbooks will provide you with a bonus for using Bitcoin and many will provide you with lower payout fees for utilizing Bitcoin.