The world of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) has gone from a backyard taboo type of men’s entertainment that was only viewable on pay per view to a sport that is now watched by millions of people. The sport is being followed universally around the world on mainstream TV broadcasting, as well as still being very popular on pay per view.
With MMA’s recent growth in popularity, there has also been an increased market for MMA Betting. Most people will watch the MMA events on TV and want to be able to bet on them to make it more interesting from a gambling point of view. There are mainly 2 major outlets that are normally on television with MMA. Those two promotions are the Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC) and Bellator MMA.
Betting on UFC and Betting on Bellator has become very popular among gamblers but without a reliable offshore betting website to utilize, betting on MMA can be a short lived experience due to the expenses you will incur in addition to your limitations in betting the sport.
In this article, we will go over the basics of how to bet on the UFC and what makes a MMA Betting Website credible and valuable to use. We will tell you what to look for and what makes them a good option for betting on MMA.
50% up to $1000
50% up to $250
100% up to $500
50% up to $1000
50% up to $1000
How to Bet on UFC Fights – The Basics
The UFC or Ultimate Fighting Championship is still a relatively new sport. However, the popularity of the sport has been soaring every year since its inception and betting of UFC has been a big part of that boom. The fights are fast, exciting and brutal. The only thing that compares in the gambling world is boxing but UFC makes boxing look slow and antiquated. That is the MMA factor. Mixed Martial Arts is the technique used in UFC and is basically multiple fighting and grappling styles combined into one. The tap-outs and knockouts come quick. UFC resembles a street fight more than a sporting event.
And this is what makes the sport a tough bet. There is plenty of information about all the fighters and their training. There are strong odds calculated by professional oddsmakers. There is a great fan base willing to wager on the event. It remains a tough bet though because all it takes is one punch. One punch and it’s all over.
To make a good bet on UFC you are going to have to take this into account as well as a few other factors. UFC betting is as easy as picking the winner of a fight. Knowing how to do so in order to get the best payout you can is not so easy. Here are some UFC betting tips and strategies to use.
- Know Your Fighter – With the sports growing popularity comes a massive amount of media coverage. MMA may not get the mainstream media’s attention but there are plenty of places to find great, in-depth coverage. Use as much of it as you can to get to know the fighters. Every fighter fights differently. With different strategy and style and some fighters will match up well versus one fighter but not necessarily another. This is a street-fight at the end of the day and should be bet as such.
- Pick the Upset – The lines in MMA betting are altered the most by how the fans bet. That being said, fans love a favorite. This is true in every sport. Sports gamblers take favorites far more than they take the underdogs. This will skew the betting lines to make favorites look like even bigger favorites and underdogs look like even longer long shots. Take a good look at the underdogs on a fight card because many of them are going to win. Finding the right ones can give you a big payout.
- Don’t Believe the Hype – UFC and MMA in general needs a great champion. Someone to be the face of the sport and really promote it and take it to the next level. But this is next to impossible because this sport is brutal. One punch is all it takes to win a fight. No one is going to be undefeated for their career. Careers simply don’t last that long. Because of this, we find that the powers that be are quick to anoint good fighters too quickly. Don’t believe the hype and stay away from these fighters. If you want to lay a bet on one of these top-billed fights, it may be best to take the underdog. Remember Ronda Rousey (she’s a wrestler now) and stay away from the overhyped. Their time is coming and it won’t be pretty.
- Even Up – Because of the upset factor in UFC it is best to avoid any huge favorite or underdog altogether. Stick to the fights that are evenly matched with fighters you know. You’ll have to do the research but it is the best way to see some value on your bet.
- Love the Props – Proposition bets usually aren’t considered very smart plays. However, MMA has a few that carry great betting value. Wins by submission, wins by knockout, knockdowns, etc. There are plenty of props that reflect the actual outcome of the fight. The odds and payouts are big like all prop bets are, however, a knowledgeable fan can make some smart prop bets with plenty of value.
- Shop Around – There are many outlets when trying to find a place to lay a bet. However you choose to play a wager, keep in mind, you may want to check other venues for better lines, odds, and payouts. More so than any other sport, the odds of MMA move due to bets made by the general population. Therefore, you’ll get different odds depending on where you are placing your bet. If you use several betting sites, check on them as the fight nears to see how the odds are changing and if they are doing so in your favor.
MMA betting strategy is best when it is simple. These are tough fighters in tough fights so there are many aspects of the sport to keep in mind to get the most value on your bet. Limit your bets to the fights and fighters you know. Find the best odds on these fights. Stay away from the heavy favorites. Play it smart and you can find plenty of value in MMA betting.
Basic betting on UFC is the way to get the value you want. Keep it simple. There will be plenty of bets to play and plenty of fights to play them on with top rated UFC betting sites. Don’t get lost in the hype and do your research. All it takes is one punch.
Variety of Bets
Just like boxing or any sport, you can lay a wide variety of bets on UFC. However, there are only a few where you can find good value and make it worth your while.
- Moneyline – The moneyline is the most popular bet with UFC. It is simply picking the winner against odds. No handicapping, no points, just the winner. The favorite pays out less than the underdog so it is good to bet more evenly matched fighters.
- Futures – As with most futures, these can be complete wastes of time and no serious gambler would touch them especially a sport like UFC.
- Props – There are prop bets for everything and they range from the ridiculous to the overly specific. Most prop bets are a waste of time much like the futures. However, you can find a good prop bet here and there so they are worth a look. Stick to the props that are fight specific. What round does the fighter go down? Is it a tap-out? Is it a knockout? These can be played with some confidence and the odds you find will be very favorable.
Is UFC Betting Available?
The first thing we will say is that not all offshore sportsbooks will offer the ability to bet on combat sports. This is why you will first want to find an offshore sportsbook that offers not only the ability to bet on UFC, but to bet on Bellator and many of the regional promotions such as Titan FC, Invicta FC, Legacy FC and many more.
After you figure out if they offer MMA betting, you are going to want to find out what types of wagers they accept. Some offshore sportsbooks will offer UFC gambling but won’t offer any other promotion and limit their plays to just straight wagers and round totals. This creates an issue if you find success early in your MMA betting career because you will want to expand your options with betting in MMA.
Now that you know if they accept MMA bets and you know if they offer more than just the major MMA promotions, the next thing to find out is besides straight wagers and round totals, do they offer those prop plays that we have learned to love. Prop wagers in MMA are based off odds and are a easy way to increase your bankroll.
Prop wagers include various options to bet on the UFC, Bellator and many of the regional promotions by betting on round totals, which round a fighter will win in, how the fighter will win, if a fighter will be knocked out, if a fighter will win inside the distance, if the fight will end in a draw and much more! The more likely it is to happen, the lower the odds but there are times when a very rare occurrence can happen and you will cash at much higher odds.
When Are Odds Released for MMA Betting?
After you determine if the offshore sportsbooks offers MMA and UFC Gambling, you will want to find out when the sportsbook releases their odds on the fights. Some sportsbooks will release odds and lines very early for the fights but some of the UFC betting sites will not release any odds until after the promotion makes the weight-in results official and public.
This means that you will have to wait until the day of the event to bet on the fights and that can be counterproductive if you like wagering well in advance to try to beat the public money. We all know that once the public money comes in heavy on one side, the line can move drastically in favor of that side.
This also becomes an issue for those UFC betting experts that have connections within the world of MMA and can get early information that they want to take advantage of. If you have the line early, and can wager on the information that you have, you may get a better line than after the information becomes public knowledge.
Additionally, when major title fights are announced, most reliable sportsbooks will release odds on that fight and allow for future wagering. Does your chosen offshore sportsbook allow this? This is another area where you can gain a great deal of advantage by wagering early on a fight and reaping the benefit of getting in before the public money goes in on a play.
Do Sportsbooks Offer Parlays?
Some of the offshore sportsbooks do not allow you to put your UFC bets in parlays. This is especially difficult when you like a heavy favorite and are trying to bring down or sort of counter some of those large odds by adding them in a parlay.
By adding them in the parlay, of two or more plays, you increase your chances of cashing larger by keep in mind the fact that it is always harder to win multiple plays in a parlay than it is with just a single play.
The last thing we want to address is your banking options for deposits and withdrawals. Before you make the decision to sign up with an offshore sportsbook, you will want to make sure you are well aware on their regulations and available options for making a deposit or withdrawal. We strongly consider you making all your offshore banking transactions through a cryptocurrency, such as Bitcoin, for no other reason than the security and anonymity with the transaction.